Finding a Job Tips, by Patience Domowski, LCSW
1. Job Search- Facebook, newspaper ads, help wanted signs, online search engines, ask friends and friends’ parents, etc…
Online Search Engines
Snagajob- retail jobs
Facebook groups: search- job share network, employment,etc
Ask people you know – for job suggestions, to mow their lawns, clean house, watch kids, care for pets, house sit, odd jobs, etc
2. Apply- online and in person- complete at least 5-10 applications!
Apply in person: restaurants, grocery stores, retail stores, general stores- Walmart, Kmart, Target, mall stores, pharmacy stores, car washes…
3. Follow up with phone call- ask to speak to the HIRING MANAGER, ask for an interview
4. Interview- highlight your strengths, know what weaknesses you can mention if they ask, know your schedule, provide references, any related experiences, try role playing interviews with friends/parents ahead of time so you feel more confident, take a deep breath and try not to be too anxious. Try to exude confidence- why would they not hire you? You’re awesome!
5. Follow up after Interview with a phone call – ask for the person who interviewed with and ask when you can start
6. If they hire you- start work. Show up on time!! If they don’t take you, don’t take it personally- keep trying! (Repeat steps 1-5)
CareerLink- [Exton, PA]- provides workshops, job listings, job fairs, career counselors, resume help, etc